How do I solve the error message: "The software for this device has been blocked from starting because it is known to have problems with Windows. Contact the hardware vendor for a new driver. (Code 48)"?
This is a rare Windows error which has been solved by the following procedure:
- Open the Device Manager and locate the MadiXtreme.
- Right-click the MadiXtreme and click "Uninstall".
- In the dialogue box, check the "Delete the driver software for this device" box.
- Click "OK" to close the dialogue. Windows will uninstall the card.
- Then select the computer (at the top of the tree) and click "Scan for hardware changes" in the Action menu.
- Windows will then attempt to reinstall the card.
- If it fails, you may find the card listed as a "Multimedia Audio Controller" (under "Other devices"), with an exclamation mark.
- If this is the case, right-click the Multimedia Audio Controller and click "Update driver software".
- In the next dialogue, select "Browse my computer for driver software", and point the installer to the folder where you have decompressed the driver files. There should be an "ssdev.inf" file in there, which Windows needs to read to install the drivers correctly.
It may take several attempts to make this work.
If this does not solve the problem it will be necessary to reinstall Windows.